Sunday, September 05, 2004

an open letter to womens underwear manufacturers

Dear Undie Makers,

While sitting on the can this morning (as you do), I took to reading the tag on my undies to pass the time. There I noticed a rather bemusing curiosity. Printed on said tag, in bold black ink, were the following words:
TO FIT:
Bust [measurement I don't care to specify]
Waist [measurement I don't care to specify]

I fail to understand the reasoning behind printing these particular measurements. How can a bust measurement have any relevance to a pair of dacks? I certainly don't wear my dacks around my bust! They would need some serious modifications to be of any use on that area of my body, let me tell you. I have come up with only two possible conclusions as to the motivation to provide a Bust measurement on my underwear.

(1) as a (supposedly) helpful guide to buying a bra - rather than actually measure my bust or try on bras, I should simply look to my undies to know which size to buy
(2) as a reminder of just how out of proportion my waist and bust measurements are to the "perfectly proportioned woman"

If it is reason (1), then I suppose I should thank you for making the effort. In theory this is a good idea but if you look to reason (2) you will see the flaws of this concept. And if it is reason (2), then boo to you all for further making women feel lousy about their body shape!

As for providing a waist measurement on my dacks, this also seems rather unnecessary considering they are *hipster* style and therefore do not even come close to reaching my waist. Thus I find that, as (2) above, you seek to remind me now how out of proportion my hips are to my bust/waist.

As a regular wearer of undies, I felt it only right that I should bring these matters to your attention, for consideration in future manufacturing efforts.

With regards,
- a polite, yet disgruntled, undie wearer.

-----
feeling: festive!
groovin' to: "Silver Bells" - Harry Connick, Jr.
last movie viewing: "The Man From Snowy River" [DVD] 4 stars
bookworm currently enjoying: "My Place" - Sally Morgan
-----

6 comments:

OzBrat said...

I don't think I've ever taken note of the writing on my underwear. I'll just have to now though!

Such an amusing post/letter. You really should send it!

Pickwick said...

Note to self: do not read posts by MuzeKez when in conference with studious Year 12s.

LOL! I've always been a wall-gazer myself, but I can see I'm going to have to take my mind away from working out how to fix the drunken crack in the wall and send my thoughts south!

You could collect such incongruities and write a book, I'm sure!

Hugh said...

I agree with Amanda...send it! It may well be all part of a conspiracy!

Pickwick said...

Update: Was chuckling with a friend about your post, completely forgetting that she used to work in the rag trade. She explained that they just have reams of generic tags for sizing, irrespective of the kind of garment to which it will be afixed.

It's a bit boring. Send your letter anyway. Need a stamp? :-)

MuzeKez said...

I had no thoughts to actually send this - I was more hoping that some enterprising undie manufacturers might google the phrase "regular wearer of undies" and thus be directed to this here letter. :-)

And now that I have read the reasoning (which, Pickwick, made me let out a rather deflated and disappointed "oh..") I don't think I'll waste 50c on a stamp to no doubt receive a reply stating the same. Particularly as it was on a pair of Bonds undies, and as Bonds are known for producing singlets and the like, I'm sure it's just a case of generic tagging. Boo!

Pickwick said...

Oh bugger! Am sorry to pop your balloon! However, the upside is that, in adding this comment, I get the opportunity to say 'Reg Grundies', which I fully inteded to do earlier and forgot!

Is Bonds. Is good. (Except for the label bit...)