Thursday, September 02, 2004

dating, the online way

Yesterday I put my profile up on one of those online dating websites. It's possible I was spurred by foggy-headed foolishness (brought on by suffering a head cold) but I must confess I have been trawling through said online dating website for the past few weeks. I've been single now for two years (and a few months, not that I've been counting) and while mostly I'm happy enough to be a single independent woman and all that, sometimes I miss affectionate male company. I know, I should just get a dog, right?

The only occurrence of anything remotely resembling a "date" in the last few years was a few months ago when I met some guy in a Gold Class cinema. We chatted a bit while waiting for the movie to begin, then again after the movie, until he suggested we get a coffee. (I don't actually drink coffee but that's beside the point). So we had a drink, exchanged numbers.. he never called, I never called, the end.

Which brings me to trying the online dating thing. I whacked up a brief profile yesterday that covered the requisite age, location, height, eye colour, hair colour, occupation, religious and political persuasions, etc, with a view to fleshing it out today or tomorrow (no uni class for me on Thursday and Fridays) and possibly braving uploading a photograph. *shock horror*

Before I could get to all that stuff though, this morning I discovered four, shall we call them "expressions of interest", in my inbox. I was most surprised considering there really wasn't much to go on, but there you have it, there are plenty of eager online daters! :-)

Here's where the story takes an amusing twist.. I was checking out one of the guy's profiles and thinking he sounded like a good sort. Typed in the password to investigate his photograph and lo, was greeted with a familiar face! Seriously, what are the odds that one of my first contacts would be someone I already know?! I mean, in all my perusing of eligible blokes over the last few weeks I hadn't come across anyone that even looked vaguely familiar.

Ahh, it made me laugh! I emailed the guy to confess who I was and now I'm waiting to hear what he thinks about the whole situation.

(Hoping this will be the first of many amusing online dating website experiences to share in my blog.)

-----
feeling: sick!
groovin' to: "Somewhere Only We Know" - Keane
last movie viewing: "Loser" [TV] 4 stars
bookworm currently enjoying: "Pride & Prejudice" - Jane Austen
-----

7 comments:

Hugh said...

Hehe...that's freaky, but very funny. It makes sense if you are friends that you'd have various things in common. Is he a friend? If he is, the question then is how do you get out of the dreaded "friend zone"

Hope you get better soon. You sound like I did a couple of weeks ago.

Hugh said...

PS: I just noticed the redesigned title...looks great.

Pickwick said...

Ditto, Verbs. I like the new design also - and actually noticed it before I saw his comment!

The online dating thingy sounds like a blast! More people should do it if only to entertain the likes of me on their blogs! Seriously, however, a friend of mine tried that strategy a few years ago, and after several false starts, has got herself a life-partner. Is a crack-up, however, to know someone else so quickly. Of all dating schemes, he had to choose the one you went for and vice versa. Perhaps it's serendipitous?

Finally, I am always glad to find another reading Austen. Isn't she a hoot? Doesn't give a damn about anyone. Would you believe I've still not seen the tv series? I really must watch more tv...

MuzeKez said...

He's more of an acquaintance than a friend - we know each other via relatives who married (as in, he's related to one half of the couple, I'm related to the other). I doubt anything will come of it but it is all very amusingly coincidental, and Laur (so glad to see you stop by!) you know I have similar thoughts regarding fate. :-)

Verbs: thanks for the get well wishes! It's just no fun being sick.

Also thanks to you and Pickwick for the compliments re: the small redesign. Jury is still out on the left-hand decoration but I'm happy with my new title. I thought it was a little more fun and fresh than the old.

Pickwick: your comments about your friend's experience with online dating give me hope. :-) And yes, Austen is wonderfully entertaining! It's the first of her novels I've read, and I'm actually reading because I have been enjoying the TV series on the ABC these past weeks. You can still catch the final part this Sunday night. Anyway, I'll definitely investigate some more of Austen's novels after this.

Hugh said...

Pickwick's comment made think this guy must have thought "Of all the guy's profiles in all the dating sites in all the world wide web, she logs into mine". Hmm, not quite Bogart. ;)

Ben said...

lol. well sometimes internet romance works :)

relatives that married eh? hrmmm ... hmmm. oh ah ... hmmm. hmmmm.

oh well, good luck with it! keep us posted ;)

OzBrat said...

I've never had the guts to try the online dating thing, but kudos to those who do! You know my brother is a member of one? I wonder if it's the same as yours. Hmmm.

And the friend-contacting-you story is *totally bizarre*. Keep us updated on how it all goes!