Monday, September 06, 2004

a good news day!

I have just discovered that my university has finally processed my application for credit. This has been a source of much stress and frustration for me as my initial application (lodged in February) was somehow lost by the uni. I then had meetings with staff to try and sort out the whole situation in May, but that came to nothing due to staff too busy to bother about student concerns. In July, therefore, I went to the trouble of lodging a new application for credit, accompanied by a letter (very politely) requesting that things be sorted out before the start of the 2005 academic year.

Today I checked my online portal and lo, suddenly I had significantly more credit points towards my degree than before. Turns out that I have been granted all the credit I applied for towards my current degree (11 subjects from previous studies) which means that after this current semester, I will only need to complete eight more subjects (that's two full-time semesters) to graduate!

I am absolutely over the moon about this, because much as I enjoy the student lifestyle, I will be glad to finally have that elusive "Piece of Paper" that will hopefully entice employers to hire me and pay me lots of lovely money for my work! Wheee!! Such is the plan anyway.

Now to make sure I can squeeze in all the Comm Design subjects I need to complete, in two semesters next year. ;-)

-----

6 comments:

Hugh said...

You're obviously more motivated than I was. I could've chopped a whole year off my second degree but never got around to applying for credit. I just loved the uni-bumb life too much!

MuzeKez said...

Yeah, there are a few things that motivate me to move beyond the student life asap - the first being that many things about university itself drive me nuts, the second being financial considerations. :-) Anything that can minimize my already hefty HECs debt (plus getting credit for subjects I've already incurred a debt from makes me feel like it wasn't money entirely wasted) and there's also the fact that my Austudy payments will cut out midway through next year.

I guess the perks of student life just aren't enough to balance these considerations! A shame, because mostly it is a great lifestyle. ;-)

Ben said...

Memo to anyone paying off a HECS debt: when you receive a tax return, always immediately request a new HECS statement. Because it's only when they process your tax return they actually take money off your debt.

Do not ask me what they do with all the money they take out of your pay up till that point. In fact, don't ask me about HECS. Don't even mention the word near me. Nor the word "hex" as I am easily misled by phonetics :)

And congrats Kez - good work pursuing that through!

Hugh said...

I could probably explain how it works Ben but it's so boring you would fall asleep at your computer and end up typing hguepwdslkjgfsddoipdfnjewnudsldsn with your forehead.

Pickwick said...

Love the new banner!

Don't mention hex-debt. I think that I'm taking mine to my grave...

Ben said...

sounds some pretty agile forehead work there verbs ... might almost be worth it, just for that ... emphasis on *almost* :)