Thursday, September 02, 2004

boy, do I ever hate popups!

Mozilla Firefox is a fantastic browser in that it blocks annoying popup windows. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to include the most annoying of all annoying popups: javascript popup windows that force one to click through an infinite number of inane and pointless messages before the window will close!

These javascript popups are completely ruining my "Next Blog" cruising, because inevitably when I go on blog safari, sooner or later I will end up at a blog with a javascript popup. It's scary just how many are out there! Most seem to be on the blogs of young people who tYpE lIkE tHiS and seem comfortable in the fact they are wasting my time. This seems to me decidedly unfair, as due to my age I (most likely) have significantly less time left on this earth than they do.

These popups are not in any way cute, or endearing, or interesting. They do nothing to enhance a website and in fact are quite likely to encourage people to never return . Please, please stop the madness!

-----

In completely unrelated matters, I was just browsing imdb and discovered that today is Keanu Reeves' 40th Birthday. Dude! I think this calls for a Bill & Ted fest! Excellent!

-----

4 comments:

Mick said...

I've noticed the same thing--and had the same reaction. They're mostly Asian, mostly from Singapore, and always seem to be 12-16 yr old girls. They like templates with several sections you have to scroll one at a time--also annoying--and if you've ever gone on safari with IE, you'll come back thanking the Mozilla javascript.

See, Mozilla ignores it but IE picks up the music they put on their pages and want you to download. Close the first download box and you get a javascript box that says, "But you can't access without clicking OK". Close that--and the download box comes up again. You have to go through this 3 times before it will go away for good. After an hour of running into them every other page, I found myself screaming, "I don't WANT access! Leave me alone!" while furiously clicking all these boxes closed as fast as they came up.

I went back to Mozilla and was relieved. A few javascript boxes are nothing compared to what I was doing in IE.

Everything is relative, I guess.

Keanu is 40!!?? Suddenly I don't feel so old.

SingleFin said...

If it was possible for me to agree more, I would. Sadly, I'm already at 100% agreeness. And that's before anyone mentions dark gray writing on black backgrounds, vomit-inducing puppy pictures and multiple-scrolling-window-gibberish.

Happy birthday Keanu!

MuzeKez said...

Greetings Mick and SingleFin! Glad to see I have support in my disgust with pesky popups and lousy blog designs - not that I doubted for a moment that people would be in agreement. Now if I could only convince the folks at blogger to somehow remove these blogs from the "blog safari"..

By the way Mick, thanks for the tip re: IE. Will make sure to never go on safari using that browser! Yikes!

Ben said...

Turn off javascript guys - that will stop those popups in their tracks!