Saturday, September 11, 2004

the irresistible lure of vending machines

I've recently come to realise that vending machines have a strange hold over me. It seems I can't walk past one without putting money in, and taking chocolate out. Oh, I admit, sometimes I opt for a bag o' chips or some other confectionary item, but that's beside the point. And that point being that I can't resist a sexy vending machine. ;-)

My uni campus is littered with vending machines. Since it's a fairly new campus, there aren't many food facilities available. There is a small cafe with a limited range (I got a great ham, cheese and tomato panini from there once, though I had no idea what a panini was) but unless you want to trudge up the hill to the refectory at the other campus, you're pretty much stuck with vending machines.

Having said that, I think I'd still be suckered in by the vending machines even if there were more (and healthier) food options. There's something so very appealing about the vending machine process: see food, money in, push buttons, retrieve food from tray, eat! In a store, you have to find the food item, take it to the cashier, have them zip it over a scanning device, give money to the cashier, wait for change, wait for the cashier to shove your chocolately goodness in a bag, exit the store, then eat. That's just downright annoying and time-consuming! Thus it is that I can quite happily resist chocolate in the stores.

But oh, not the vending machines. See food, money in, push buttons, retrieve food from tray, eat!

Last week I indulged in a Tim Tam Finger one day, and a Mars Bar the next. The week before it was a bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk and a Twirl. It doesn't even bother me that I'm paying extra for the privilege of the exceptional vending machine service. Nor am I worried about losing my money. Yes, I have been burnt before by dodgy machines, but the ones at my uni have been so good to me lately! I haven't lost any money all semester. I don't even mind that the chocolate comes out slightly melted because the machines aren't refrigerated.

Pop Quiz! Here (A) and here (B) you will find pictures of vending machines. One is a good :-) vending machine, and one is bad :-( but which is which, and why?

-----
feeling: hungry [hungry.. but probably not for apples!]
groovin' to: "Anthem" (from Chess) - Anthony Warlow
last movie viewing: "The Man From Snowy River 2" [DVD] 4 stars
-----

4 comments:

Ben said...

the cadbury one is bad. everybody knows food vending machines should be placed to the right—not left—of a coke vending machine. because of the radiation.

more importantly, why do people take photos of vending machines and then post them online? hmm... now a vending machine webcam, that would be more interesting to watch. at least as good as big brother.

Pickwick said...

Ben is wicked. I have always been intimidated by the open declaration of the vending machine and am now even less likely to use one than I was before. I feel so exposed!

It could be suggested that I have eating issues...

Now panini, that's another matter! Whilst good for filling and grilling, they are most desirable when transformed into crostini. Slice diagonally into 3 - 4 mm slices, brush with good quality olive oil (hello, I meant the bread!) and place in a moderate oven for 5 - 8 minutes until golden. Allow to cool then serve with tapenade. Oooh, texture.... zest....

See, nothing wrong with me!

Ben said...

tapenade? is that fizzy tap water? I have no clue…

MuzeKez said...

Bro, you're spot on with the Cadbury one being bad, though I wasn't quite thinking along the same lines as to why. ;-) I was just alarmed by the fact that I can't "see food!" in that one. Boo!

I really like the idea of a vending machine webcam - far more interesting than people just posting random photos of vending machines. It could be especially entertaining when naughty vending machines eat people's money, or spit out the wrong product. Yes, this could be a winner!

tapenade.. fizzy tap water.. sounds logical to me! Perhaps Pickwick will return and enlighten us? :-)