Thursday, July 22, 2004

muzing # 033: i was born in a small town

Yesterday, after my late morning lecture, I ventured into the City. It's so long since I was last in the City that I can't even remember when that was, but we're talking at least over a year. (I don't count my recent trip to the Museum and Art Gallery as they're on the other side of the river.)

Now, the trip itself was fun. I met up with my brother for lunch and a discount shopping expedition at Borders. Borders is brilliant, if I had more disposable income, I could happily spend a few hours shopping there! After that, I got a tour of my brother's place of employment, figured it was about time I saw where he worked considering he's been there for.. several years now. :-) I then had a brief wander through the Queen Street Mall before venturing a couple of blocks to my mother's place of employment for a surprise visit, which went over well.

But the day reminded me why I tend to avoid the City. It's so incredibly busy and bustling and crowded and noisy, and much too open-air, resulting in me inhaling far too much cigarette smoke for my liking. *cough splutter*

I'm definitely a small town girl. I've been living in Brisbane now for eight years, but I grew up in a small town and I can imagine the time will come when I'll retreat to small town life again.

-----

1 comment:

Ben said...

right on. Brissie's nice enough for a visit but wouldn't want to live there :)