Monday, July 26, 2004

muzing # 035: public transport adventures

It's been a while since I've used much public transport, so I decided to try out a new bus service from my uni to Chermside, where I needed to visit the Transport Dept to renew my license. (How ironic that I took public transport to get to the place to renew my driving license.) So that all worked out just fine, except that I now have a new license with an absolutely hideous photograph that I'm stuck with for the next FIVE years. :-(

Anyway, the problem arose when I attempted to catch a bus from Chermside to home. I used to do this on a regular basis but since the last time I did so, the bus stop has moved. Well technically the bus stop is still there, only now the bus I needed to catch no longer stops there. There are five stops at this particular bus interchange, so I investigated them all till I found the bus number I was looking for.

Along comes the bus, it's the right number, I jump on, flash my ticket, and away we go. I notice that the bus is travelling in a different direction to that which I wish to be travelling in! Panic! Not really, I actually waited patiently for it to stop. Thankfully it wasn't too far before we reached a stop, so I only had to walk a couple of blocks back to the interchange.

Turns out I had caught the outbound bus, when I had wanted the inbound. What a dope! Problem was, I couldn't find where to catch the inbound. So I called for a lift home.

I never did feel comfortable using public transport..

-----
feeling: like I have no clue
groovin' to: "In The Air Tonight" - Phil Collins
last movie viewing: "The Stepford Wives" [cinema] 4 stars
-----

6 comments:

Pickwick said...

There should be an accept/reject clause on licence renewals. I had a perfectly (relatively) cute photo on the licence that got stolen with my wallet, only to have it replaced by one in which I look like I'm stoned.

Can you pleeeeease write a post on Stepford Wives? The person who made me promise to see it with them is not trying too hard to make themselves available... Don't you hate that?

MuzeKez said...

An accept/reject clause would be fantastic! I'm now dreading being pulled over by the cops and having to reveal the horrors of my dodgy license photo to another human being. My previous license had a much better photograph too. How unfortunate!

Regarding a post on Stepford Wives, consider it added to my "to do" list. :-) Watch this space (or rather the main blog space).

Ben said...

you only went one stop the wrong way! you amateur!! :) you haven't lived until you have gotten on the wrong bus - an EXPRESS bus - that takes you at least as far as Toowong when you were trying to get to Stafford. Or caught the last service to Aspley when you wanted to go to Boondall, and get kicked off by a cranky bus driver who wants to go home and doesn't care that he's leaving ya absolutely nowhere in the dark without any way to get home. oh yeah! keep practicing kiddo ;)

anyway, I blame the tickets. they just validate in situations that you totally never need them too. now if you had to say to the driver "I want a ticket to somewhere" s/he'd go "Ain't going that way mate, you're on the wrong bus." Course, then everybody would *know*. Hmm.. sounds like a great reality show! At least as good as that show about airports!!

MuzeKez said...

I bow down to your superior public transport adventures! I did actually comment to Mum that I had "done a Ben". *heeheehee*

I did contemplate, as the bus started heading in the opposite direction to that which I wanted, jumping up and screaming "I'm on the wrong bus!" That would have made good TV, yeah?

Ben said...

"a Ben"?
Surely I'm renowned for more than my absentminded bus hopping?

MuzeKez said...

Evidently not. ;-)