Thursday, July 29, 2004

muzing # 036: one review, one recommendation

review

The Stepford Wives 4 stars
It's copped some harsh criticism, this latest version. Much of the criticism stems from those who have seen the original, and as I have not (yet), I can't comment on how this remake compares. What I can comment on is what an entertaining 90 minutes I had while watching this film. True, unlike the wives of its title, the movie is not perfect and does have some glaring plot holes, but if you can overlook those, there is much to be enjoyed.

I've heard the original movie falls into the thriller genre. While there are a few suitably creepy and eerie moments in this remake, a thriller it ain't. I'd slap it right into the comedy genre. In all honesty, I haven't laughed out loud so frequently during a movie in quite some time. Admittedly there were times I was the only person in the cinema laughing (references to actors from The Lord of the Rings and a particularly chuckle-worthy AOL quip are two instances that spring to mind), but I challenge anyone to not be at least somewhat amused by the film.

Performances are solid across the board. Nicole Kidman and Matthew Broderick are both adequate in their roles, though there was little if any chemistry between them. Sometimes it works for the film, at other times it's a bit disappointing. Bette Midler does her typical Bette Midler thing (which is perfect for her role), Christopher Walken is also his usual vaguely eccentric self, but it is Glenn Close who is most engaging as Stepford wife extraordinaire.

At a mere 90 minutes, the film fairly barrels along. Time enough, though things do seem to happen perhaps a little too quickly. I felt there was room for further exploration of the Stepford lifestyle, but the filmmakers may have feared boring the audience in redundant detail.

Good entertainment - my Mum enjoyed it too. :-)

recommendation

Forgotten Silver 5 stars
If you've never seen this 50 minute, 1995 effort from New Zealanders Peter Jackson and Costa Botes, seek out a copy. I can't say much about it because it really is best viewed without prior knowledge, but I watched it in a uni class earlier this week and was obviously suitably impressed to blog about it. And even if you have heard about it but never watched it, give it a look in - I doubt you'll be disappointed. Brilliant!

-----

2 comments:

Hugh said...

I watched Forgotten Silver in a uni class three years ago. Classic stuff. One poor girl fell asleep right at the start and the lecturer noticed and then when it finished asked her what she thought of it...hehe.

MuzeKez said...

I'm always surprised when students manage to fall asleep during classes - those chairs are far too uncomfortable for sleeping! I figured educational institutions specifically invest in the most uncomfortable chairs they can find to prevent students dozing off.

It's only happened twice in classes that I've noticed. Last year I remember one girl was sprung because her mobile phone rang while she was asleep! Poor lass slept right through her phone ringing, despite the fact the entire lecture theatre could hear it. The lecturer asked someone to wake her up so she could turn her phone off. Hahaha!