Friday, July 09, 2004

muzing # 025: i do believe in fairies!

Last night while waiting for the second last episode ever of Angel (thanks for nothing channel 7, making us wait till 11:05pm!) I filled my time by watching Peter Pan. It was my second viewing as I caught this film in the cinema, back on the 27th of January (yes I keep movie ticket stubs, what a geek!). I recalled that I had enjoyed it muchly when I saw it in the cinema, but watching it again reminded me just how delightful a film it is! It's a shame it hasn't had great success, it's such a fun adventure movie.

Harry Newell.. Harry Potter? Jason Isaacs is just wonderful in the dual roles of Captain Hook and Mr Darling, and the DVD includes a positively hilarious section of deleted sequences featuring Mr Darling (quite literally) in the dog house! Jeremy Sumpter is at times an inspired Pan, at worst he is adequate. The other child actors/actresses are all a joy to behold. I did find myself thinking that Harry Newell (who played John Darling - see pic) would have made a decent Harry Potter (appearance-wise) - had Dan Radcliffe not been discovered. :-)

The DVD includes an alternate ending, featuring the lovely Saffron Burrows as grown-up Wendy. As the film stands, Burrows serves only as the occasional voice-over narrator, so it was nice to see this scene. I think it would have worked fine in the film, though it does drag the ending out, which I presume was the reason behind discarding it.

Peter Pan [DVD] 4 stars
-----

4 comments:

Hugh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MuzeKez said...

Now you see it, now you don't. :-(

Hugh said...

Am I the author, as in the autor of the muzing? Or are you the author, as in the author of the blog? I didn't think it was that bad a muzing...obviously it was...yikes! this could be the end of verbs' muzings.

MuzeKez said...

You are the author of the muzing.. though I am the author of the blog of muzings.. and all these muzings can be confuzing.

I didn't delete your muzing, at least not consciously? I figured you must have changed your mind about leaving your mark - I read your muzing (it was emailed) but when I got around to replying, it was gone! :-( And I was so relieved that someone else had confessed to the geeky habit of keeping movie ticket stubs, haha!