Friday, July 16, 2004

muzing # 030: i'll miss that cello theme

(side note: ooh, blogger has upgraded!)

Last night saw the show finale of Angel. I don't think it's quite hit me yet that there will be no more. After eight fantastic years of Buffy and Angel, it's just too difficult to imagine it's all over.

It's got me thinking how weird (but cool) it is to invest emotionally in a television show and its characters. It doesn't happen often that a show comes along that I look forward to watching every week. Even less does it happen that a show features characters I truly care about, and believe in, and feel like I know.

It hit me hard to witness the death of one of those characters, even though I had stumbled upon a spoiler weeks ago. Yeah, I admit, I shed a couple of tears for him. It was a moving death scene, and I've come to expect no less from this show. In fact, the 40 minute finale managed to cram in all those elements I've come to adore about the show - I cried, I laughed, I gasped in unexpected shock and I cheered (er, not outloud, it was late, others were sleeping).

For the most part it was a good wrap-up for the show, but I couldn't believe that final scene - it was like part one of a "to be continued" storyline! ARGH! :-(

Here's to five awesome seasons. Angel will be missed. (Thank goodness for DVDs.)

-----

No comments: