Wednesday, August 18, 2004

muzing # 050: procrastinating is fun!

I've made it to an half-century of blog posts, and I think I might stop numbering them now. :-)

Anyway, oh, there is some serious procrastination going on right now. I have three separate assignments I could be working on, and yet here I sit, not working on any of them! I'd like to use the excuse that my brain is tired after six hours of uni classes today, but considering a portion of one of those classes involved playing a Nintendo game, I don't think that excuse is gonna fly. Yeah, Comm Design is cool, you all wish you were studying it. ;-) I'm actually not much of a gamer, but there are far worse things than your tutor bringing his Game Cube to class, right?

So one of my assignments is to write a personal story of a "new beginning". Where do they come up with this stuff? Now, I enjoy creative writing but I'm not particularly inspired by that topic. Plus we have a ridiculously small word limit to adhere to: 700 words in total, including two responses to other students' stories. The tutor recommended we only use 450 words in our own story. That's not a whole lotta words in which to craft a story.. better go easy on the flowery descriptions. Hoho!

Meanwhile, the Olympics continue to provide a happy distraction from all constructive pursuits. The Australians slipped to third on the medal tally at the end of yesterday's competition. I sure did enjoy those few days the Aussies stood proudly in second spot! :-)

-----
feeling: cheeky!
currently watching: Women's Beach Volleyball: Australia v. Mexico
-----

6 comments:

Ben said...

oho I got a new beginnings story for ya! i wrote it in 1995 and darn it's 1200 words. you're right, 450 ain't enough. actually, "write well, write succinct" is probably the point.

Gamecube though? Wait until Brendan hears about this. rofl. was it luigi's mansion? super smash bros melee? perhaps mario sunshine? (check out the cool favicon on that last one!)

MuzeKez said...

I wrote my story - it's nothing special but I think I did okay in the word limit - managed to cut it down to 465.

Have you told Brendan what I did at uni yesterday yet? I know what he's going to want to study when he's older! Haha! It was a pretty crappy game as far as I was concerned; a futuristic racing game: F-Zero GX. But again I say, there are worse things one must do during uni classes, eh? ;-)

Pickwick said...

I'm glad you've got your story out. Are you going to post it here? ;-) Would love to read it...

I was all set to inspire you with a great short story I found. I'll share it anyway. I don't know the author, but it's called 'The Scarlatti Tilt'...
It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play the violin.
That's what she told the police as she handed them the empty revolver.

Less than 40 words - including the title! 450's a breeze!

Thanks for your kind words 'bout Dog No. 3

Hugh said...

Back in my days at uni we didn't get to play games in class!! Though we did spend a lot of time getting drunk at the bar. ;-)

MuzeKez said...

Pickwick: Classic! Loved the story, short, sharp and packed a wow of a punch. Kudos to the author, murderer though they are. ;-)
I would post my story, except I feel a bit odd about posting a university assignment before it has been graded. I'll try and remember once it has been marked, although by then I'll no doubt have forgotten this promise.

verbs: You got drunk at the bar.. during class time?! For shame! ;-)

Hugh said...

Only once...I think...Hmmm...*verbs hangs his head in shame*