Friday, August 13, 2004

muzing # 048: what's my weakness?

Cakes! I definitely have a sweet tooth; I like chocolate, candy, icecream, chips, donuts, muffins and anything else that tastes good but is bad for me. But my favourite guilty pleasure is cake! I bring this up now, as last night I was unable to get to sleep because I was thinking about cakes. The cravings were so strong that my stomach hurt, it was awful! Unfortunately there was no cake in the house, and as midnight is not an appropriate time to go out in search of cakes, nor to bake my own when others are sleeping in the house, I had to suffer, unsated.

I'm not sure what brought on this sudden craving for cake. After all, two days ago I had a generous slice of a scrumptious chocolate cake my sister-in-law made for my brother's birthday. MmmMMmmm! You'd think that would have been enough to tide me over till the next special occasion, which brings me to my one issue with cakes. Why must they be a "special occasion" treat? I am perfectly comfortable snacking out on a muffin or a donut on any old day, but I feel I must resist the lure of cakes till a special occasion arises. Who created this silly rule? I want to eat cake every day!

This morning I pondered just what cake I shall have for my own special occasion (my birthday next month). I'm a big fan of the cakes made by The Cheesecake Shop, particularly their mud cakes. Their "White Gold Mudcake" is a definite contender, I haven't tried that one yet. Other possible choices are their "Strawberry Fields Torte" or the "Zebra Cake", both of which are pictured here.

One of my fondest birthday cake memories is of three years ago, when I had to work (back in my video game arcade days) the night shift. It was a Saturday, it just so happened to coincide with the Brisbane Lions first Premiership, and I had to head to work before the game was finished. I was in a lousy mood, muttering about the injustices of it all, and when I arrived at work was greeted by the sight of a rather large chocolate cake, provided by my boss. It was ridiculously good this cake, I can't even tell you! Rich chocolate, layers of thick icing throughout, huge globs of icing on top, and finished with a bonfire-sized mound of dark chocolate shavings. (Oh, I think I just drooled on my keyboard!) I was able to gorge myself on a slice while watching the end of the AFL grand final on the TVs in the bowling alley next door to the arcade.

Boy did I feel guilty for being so negative about having to work. Cake makes everything better. :-)

-----

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am not a sweet tooth, but have also craved cake. It's a tough one to get around... Can I suggest that rather than waiting until the celebration of the anniversary of your coming for your next fix, you should actually have a run-up, in preparation and to aid in the selection of the most appropriate cake to celebrate with?

Also, a pedantic point, rather than 'unsatiated', it would be better that you were 'unsated'. Whilst not wholy incorrect, the former is the archaic version and thus anachronistic.

MuzeKez said...

looseingit: thanks for sharing your similar cake craving story! I forgot to mention in my post that Black Forrest Cake is definitely one of my faves, mmm, those are so good.

Anonymous: oh I do so love your suggestion! :-) I think I might just have to have a trial run of the cakes to ensure I have the most appropriate one for my birthday. Thanks also for the tip re: unsated/unsatiated. I'd made the correction - I did think unsatiated sounded a little odd but as it was listed on dictionary.com I figured I was at least not inventing words. My vocabulary is sadly underdeveloped! :-(

Hugh said...

Mmmmm...cake. My eyes are bigger than my stomach however and I always bite off more than I can chew...but it always looks so inviting.

Like the medal counter. Now...will you update it first thing each morning?

I would like to say Go Lions! but can't bring myself to do it...wait! I just did! Damn!

MuzeKez said...

verbs, I will indeed be updating the Aussie medal tally each morning. 'tis the first thing I check out when I get up - I'm quite an Olympics enthusiast, and er, rather patriotic! *waltzes with Matilda* :-)

hehehehe, you said Go Lions! Aren't you being a bit disloyal to the Blues? ;-)

Hugh said...

Never! The sheer lacklusterness of my delivery prevented me being in any way disloyal to the Blues.

Though I will say......

Go Aussies!!!