Thursday, August 05, 2004

muzing # 040: why is it?

..that the best ideas come at the most inopportune moments?

Last night I stirred from my cosy cocoon around 3am to answer the call of nature. Returning to my cocoon I assumed I would quickly doze off again, but alas, come 5am I was still awake. My brain had gone into overdrive, developing ideas, concepts and elaborate plans for my uni assignments.

Now, in itself this was not at all a bad thing. In fact, it was a most excellent thing! However, I wish it had not occured in the wee small hours of the morning when I was tucked up in bed and extremely reluctant to move from under the covers in order to jot down the outcomes of these impromptu brain-storming sessions.

It got me musing about how often the brain does its best thinking during moments when there are few external distractions - in bed at night, in the shower, on the can. I used to compose melodies while I showered, also a frustrating exercise as they would often slip away before I was out of the shower and able to write them down.

How many brilliant ideas have been lost because they chose a poor moment to reveal themselves?

-----
feeling: sleepy
last movie viewing: "Ned Kelly" [DVD] 4 stars
bookworm currently enjoying: "The Mists of Avalon" - Marion Zimmer Bradley
-----

2 comments:

Ben said...

get a PDA!

MuzeKez said...

can you take a PDA into the shower with you? I think not. :-P