Friday, August 20, 2004

ahh, joyous unproductive day!

Today was one of those pleasant, lazy days that we all need from time to time. Unfortunately that meant it was decidedly unproductive in terms of assignment work, but I did manage to fully develop the concept for one of my assignments. This is a good thing, because on Wednesday I have to present the concepts for my assignments in two separate subjects, for tutor and peer critique. The tutors keep going on about how this is a great opportunity, but I can't help but feel that it's a waste of precious teaching time! Semesters are so short with only twelve tutorials per subject, and devoting one of those tutorials to having we students get up and say "this is what I plan to do, blah blah blah" seems a bit silly to me.

But who am I to criticise the structure of university classes? Oh wait, I'm one of the people investing a huge whack of money in the university! (Well, eventually I will, at the moment I'm just generating a huge whack of debt for myself.) Sometimes I really do wonder where all that money goes..

Moving on from my bitterness, I'm quite excited about my concept. We have to develop an interactive project using Macromedia Flash, that in some way deals with the topic of "advocating sustainability". I'm planning to develop a game for younger people that promotes the use of renewable resources, in particular solar power, in an (hopefully) entertaining and educational way. Should provide a marvellous challenge for me as I've absolutely no idea what I'm capable of constructing in Flash. Wheee! But that's okay because we don't actually need to produce a fully functioning project but rather a "resolved prototype". Doesn't that just sound like good clean fun?

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how my idea is received in class on Wednesday. If my peers hate it, I think I might cry! There's always a danger in being too impressed with one's own imaginative genius, when one must lay that imaginative genius on the line in front of 25-odd bored fellow students. Character building, is what it is!

-----

3 comments:

Hugh said...

Ah..hardly worth crying over. If the other students don't like your idea does that mean you don't get to make it? Or you fail? If the latter then crying may be in order.

Ben said...

as you so rightly pointed out, you're paying them to like it! don't let those corporate fat cats push you around. if they fail you, don't you get a refund? what did you pay them for otherwise???

MuzeKez said...

verbs: In fact, it's much worse than that - it's the end of the world! Did I mention that melodrama is my middle name? ;-)

Ben: Wouldn't it be nice if the tutors were forced to refund your HECS fee for the subject if you fail.. I might have to put this to our Student Guild.