Friday, October 22, 2004

assorted crazies and craziness

Yesterday while browsing IMDB.com I saw a bannerad for a movie called "The Machinist", starring Christian Bale. However, the photograph looked nothing like Christian Bale. Suitably curious, I further investigated the movie (downloading the trailer among other things) and was alarmed to discover that it was indeed a picture of an horribly thin and gaunt Christian Bale. The reason? Bale plays a character who hasn't slept in a year. Now, I'm thinking if you hadn't slept for a year you'd be DEAD, so I suppose that's the theory behind his walking corpse appearance.

What possesses a person to go to such extremes for their "craft"? I'm tempted to just lump Bale with a "crazy person!" tag now. Apparently he lost about 30kg in three weeks to play the role, and if that isn't unhealthy enough for you, afterwards he piled on 45kg in a couple of weeks as he was due to start filming "Batman Begins". Is anything worth putting your body through something so unhealthy? I'm sure there were immediate consequences to this starvation / binging, but what about long term consequences? For sure the body will seek its revenge at some point if you mistreat it!

Hmm, the movie itself looks quite intriguing, don't know when it will be released here, but you can download the trailer if you're interested.


* * * * * *


Last night the bro suggested I check out NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), which was mentioned on the Blogger News page recently. The gist of NaNoWriMo is that budding novelists set the goal of writing a 50,000 word novel.. within the month of November. Yup, that's right, one month to write a novel. That's crazy talk! But as the site says, emphasis is on quantity rather than quality. ;-) I don't know, I'm thinking it could be a lot of fun so I might just give it a whirl. If I do, I'll probably create a separate blog and post my novel as I write it. At the moment my best idea revolves around a pirate and his pet bunny rabbit that communicates via morse code by thumping its cute li'l bunny paws. Admit it, you're excited! (Don't steal my groovy idea!)


* * * * * *


Meanwhile, my crazy obsession with the first series of Australian Idol continues! This morning I went shopping and bought Cosima's album, and Guy Sebastian's new album. I like my pop music. Yup, mock at will! :-)

-----

2 comments:

OzBrat said...

Christian Bale - Eew! That looks really bad. I guess no one could ever accuse him of not taking his work seriously, eh? :/

NaNoWriMo - Your idea sounds so good! You've gotta do it. I'll read it!! LOL

Cosima and Guy - Do you review music? Because I'd love to know what you think of these. I haven't got either of them yet so your opinion might help with my decision if I do or not.

Hugh said...

Hmmm...Christian Bale's physique in this movie sounds exactly like mine...but of course I'm preparing for a film role too....shooting some time soon.......uh.....yup.