Tuesday, June 29, 2004

muzing # 020: bad comic book adaptations

It's Tuesday! Budget DVD rental day! This week I've rented Big Fish, In America and The Core. Hopefully they'll all prove to be worthwhile rentals, I was a bit hit and miss with my picks last week. Two of them turned out to be most certainly worth watching. I adored Love Actually and would have happily paid standard rental fees for it. The Four Feathers (2002 version) was also a pleasant surprise. I wish I had found the time to watch it twice.

I thought I would enjoy my other two picks simply due to their genre. I have a few comic book adaptations in my DVD collection, so I figured I'd probably get a kick out of Daredevil and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Not so! Daredevil doesn't have much to recommend it beyond some cool action sequences and a good performance from the kid who played a young Matt Murdock.

As for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, it was a stinker. I found it completely ridiculous! Perhaps this is one comic book adaptation that you have to have been a fan of the comics to appreciate? I spent much of the film wondering why there was a woman in the league of extraordinary gentlemen (it helped distract me from the awful script and FX), and furthermore why aforementioned woman, Mina Harker, was a vampire?!?

Uhh..

1 comment:

MuzeKez said...

Hi Peter, thanks for stopping by. I must confess it's been years since I last read Bram Stoker's Dracula and while I recall Mina Harker being one of Dracula's victims, I don't recall her becoming a vampire.. which was what threw me about the movie character. :-) Must reread Dracula now!