Wednesday, November 24, 2004

run away with the circus

You'd be forgiven for assuming that I have, indeed, run away with the circus, so absent have I been from my poor little blog of late. And after Saturday night, a part of me wishes I could run away with the circus! Alas, I'm not blessed with any appropriate circus talents (although there are some who know me who might tell you that I could take a stab at becoming a clown).

Quidam Saturday night, you see, I was lucky enough to pop along to see the fabulous Cirque du Soleil's "Quidam" show. Lucky in more ways than one! The first being that it was a real treat to see a live Cirque performance. I have watched a few on television in recent times but it just doesn't compare to the magic of entering the big blue 'n yellow tent with its sometimes cloudy, sometimes starry, sometimes stormy (and therefore always atmospheric - heck, we were even rained on at one point!) ceiling. The second being that I was ever so lucky to enjoy the show free of charge, having some time ago offered my company to the lovely Pickwick in order to solve her ticket quandary. Hey, I'm an enterprising sort, certainly not one to miss such a fabulous opportunity!

And fabulous it was. In the first place, it was a pleasure to meet Pickwick in person. She's in many ways much as I imagined she'd be from her blog, and yes she does have amazing hair, even if it wasn't in all its amazing glory on Saturday night, as she confessed. ;-) We had fairly good seats for the show - side-on to the action, which apart from a (very) few occasions, was perfectly fine.

I'm hard pressed now to remember the order of the acts, but I do believe it began with the German Wheel (which looks like a ridiculous amount of fun but I'm sure is damn hard work) and possibly ended with the Banquine (some of the most breathtaking acrobatics I've ever seen). In between were a number of acts that were equally fascinating and impressive, and I often found myself completely mesmerised. There's nothing quite so thrilling as watching talented people displaying the full range of their talents! Even the skipping rope performers, something which I myself used to be quite good at, had me gaping at their abilities. That was a highlight, along with a woman who performed Aerial Contortion in Silk, which I thought simply beautiful. In fact, all the performers in the air were stunning to watch. And those on the ground. And the musicians were wonderful, if perhaps a little over enthusiastic volume-wise at times.

Then there were the clowns. I didn't realise there was such a comedic aspect to Cirque du Soleil! There were two main skits in which the clowns enticed people from the audience (oh what fun that would be!) and proceeded to make them amusement value for the rest of us in the audience. Good stuff! The woman sitting in front of Pickwick had this weird howl or whoop or something when she found something very funny, which I in turn found very funny. Much laughter to be had!

All in all it was a great night's entertainment, and definitely well worth experiencing. I shall be looking forward to the next Cirque show to make its way to Brisbane, whenever that may be. And yes, I shall save my pennies to buy myself a ticket to that one. ;-)

-----

3 comments:

Pickwick said...

You liked the tissue? (silk, as you called it). We obviously didn't chat about that one afterwards! It's my least favourite of the apparatus used in circus!

Thanks for writing such a great post! Saves me from trying to squeeze one out:-)

MuzeKez said...

Pickles, I remember you saying it was your least favourite. :-) I'm not entirely sure why I liked it, but I recall just being quite entranced by the whole performance. I think perhaps I liked the change from the exhilaration of the other acts to what was a fairly calm and measured performance. Maybe if I saw it again it wouldn't impress me so, second time around, but it definitely had me fascinated on Saturday night!

Casyn said...

I was sitting on the centre aisle and was petrified that I would be chosen to be in the Film Skit. Audience participation is great if it's NOT me. :-)

I loved this show. One of the stranger ones I have to say. A typical Cirque 'journey' tale. The music is fantastic, I bought the cd, but it was a little too loud at times. The intensity for the most part was great, but when there was lots of noise it became overpowering.

You should buy the DVD so you have it to watch when you would.

Seeing Cirque live is always the best way.